Tuesday, January 27, 2009
In with the old, out with the new
Recently I had some down time due to being a bit sick. While being bored at home I decided to pick up on a project I started a year ago. I was redrawing the covers for the Dorks second series. I originally did these stories after Dave canceled Grubbmaster Pieces. He offered as a form of payment to print out ashcan sized copies of any project I wanted. I think it was something like, 5o copies of 1 book or 25 copies of 2 different books etc. I jumped at the opportunity and went right back to the drawing board and started work on my latest Dorks saga. I had written the scripts and laid out the covers and did thumbnail sketches of the pages of the books. I got as far as finishing the first issue and half of the second issue. I guess at some point I must've reread what I had and realized how far removed the story was from what I had been doing. It mixed some of the characters in a way that any previous ideas I had were never going to work out in this continuity. Needless to say I scrapped the entire project. Here is a look at the original covers of that short lived series and the new up to date covers that I did.Just so you know, the next series of Dorks is the one that is currently collected. I did 5 full issues and part of issue 6. That series was going in the direction I wanted but I fizzled out quickly since issue 1 was done in 1995 (I believe) and issue six was being done in 1999 or 2000. The art was too different and I wanted to restart all over again. To this day we're still waiting.