Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Fighter Issue 1

At one point things looked a bit bleak with Instant Press Comics and it's projects. There was a bit of internal turmoil going on and it's a period that is not really reflected on when we get together. One thing that happened though was that artist Dann Phillips was free at the moment since there was a hiatus on the White Knife project. His talent and art was so great and eye catching to me that it hit me like nothing I've felt before. This could be the guy that could bring The Fighter to life.
I proposed the idea to Dann Phillips and if anybody knows Dann, you know he gets excited about working on something new. He's always up for a challenge and puts his all into the project. He did prelims on the Fighter and after much nitpicking on my part I was finally satisfied and the ball got rolling.
As my usual self, I was lazy on supplying the drawings for The Masked Avenger and The Perfect Gentleman when it came time to do the story. To my surprise though, Dann pretty much did the designs in the style that I had sketched out, only good. When I saw page 5 I knew I was working with the right person. The action sequence there was just jaw dropping. considering that the script called for, "Big action sequence" Dann did a great job of putting two and two together. I left it all up to him and he delivered.
Things didn't progress much after issue one due to me. I once again got too caught up in how I wanted to tell the story and how long it would be until The Fighter came on to the scene. I do hope to return to this project one day and I hope that Dann will be available to do the artwork again. It was a thrill to work with such a skilled artist.

No comments: